Frequently Asked Questions
Or select a category below for quick help
How do I sign up?
To create an account, simply click the ‘Sign in/Register’ button located in the navigation bar. Once you’ve completed the required fields, your account will be successfully set up and ready to use!
I have forgotten my password
In case you’ve forgotten your password, worry not! Simply navigate to the sign-in screen and click on the ‘lost your password’ link. After that, an email will be sent to your registered email address containing a reset link. With this link, you’ll be able to regain access to your account in no time.
How do I change my contact details?
Updating your contact details on your account is a breeze. Once you’re logged in, simply access the ‘My Profile’ section by clicking on the corresponding menu item on the left. From there, you’ll have the option to modify your email, password, address, and even your profile picture!
How do I close or delete my account?
To delete your account, follow these simple steps: After logging in, head to the ‘My Profile’ section by using the menu on the left. Scroll down until you spot the ‘Delete Account’ button, and simply click on it to proceed with the account deletion process. It’s a quick and straightforward way to remove your account if needed.
How do I post an advert?
To post an advert on Dream Pets, it’s a breeze! Begin by registering for an account. Once you’ve successfully created your account and accessed your dashboard, simply click on ‘Post an advert’ from the menu on the left. From there, you can easily showcase your ads!
How do I modify or remove my advert?
Accessing and editing your adverts is a piece of cake. Just click the ‘My Account’ button at the top of the page to log in. From there, navigate to ‘My Adverts’ on the left-hand side menu and select the advert you wish to modify. Finally, click on ‘Edit Advert’ to make the desired changes.
Can I boost my advert after I have posted it?
Absolutely, you can easily boost your advert even after posting it! Here’s how: Just go to ‘Edit Advert’, where you’ll find a prominent ‘Boost’ button. Click on it, and then save your changes to proceed to the checkout. It’s a quick and hassle-free process to give your advert that extra visibility!
How much exercise does a dog need every day?
The amount of exercise a dog needs depends on various factors, such as their breed, age, size, and individual energy level. Generally, most dogs benefit from at least 30 minutes to 2 hours of exercise daily. However, high-energy breeds or young dogs may require more physical activity to stay mentally and physically stimulated.
Regular exercise not only helps maintain a healthy weight but also promotes good cardiovascular health, reduces behavioural issues related to boredom, and strengthens the bond between you and your dog. Engaging in activities like daily walks, playtime, fetch, or running in a safely enclosed area can meet your dog’s exercise needs.
What is the best age to start training a puppy?
Puppy training should ideally begin as early as 8 weeks old, as this is a critical developmental stage. Early training and socialisation play a vital role in shaping a puppy’s behaviour and overall temperament. During this time, puppies are more receptive to learning and adapting to new experiences.
Basic obedience training is crucial for teaching essential commands like sit, stay, come, and lead walking. Positive reinforcement techniques, such as using treats and praise, are highly effective in encouraging desired behaviours and building a strong bond with your puppy.
Additionally, exposing your puppy to various people, animals, and environments during the socialisation period (between 3 to 16 weeks) helps prevent fear-based behaviours and ensures a well-adjusted adult dog.
How do I prevent my dog from excessive barking?
Excessive barking in dogs can be managed and reduced by identifying the underlying cause of the behaviour. Some common reasons for excessive barking include boredom, loneliness, territorial instincts, anxiety, or seeking attention.
To address this behaviour, it’s essential to provide mental and physical stimulation to keep your dog engaged. Regular exercise, interactive toys, and playtime can help alleviate boredom and restlessness. Additionally, spending quality time with your dog and incorporating training sessions into daily routines can reinforce positive behaviour.
If your dog barks out of territorial instincts, limit their exposure to potential triggers, such as people passing by windows or other animals. Training techniques like teaching the “quiet” command and rewarding your dog when they stop barking can be effective.
For persistent barking related to anxiety or fear, consult with a professional dog trainer or a certified animal behaviourist to develop a tailored plan to address the root cause and modify the behaviour.
What should I feed my dog for a balanced diet?
A balanced diet is crucial for your dog’s overall health and well-being. High-quality commercial dog food that is specifically formulated for your dog’s life stage (puppy, adult, senior) and size is a good choice. Look for dog foods that list real meat as the primary ingredient and contain essential nutrients like protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals.
Consult with your veterinarian to determine the appropriate portion sizes and feeding frequency based on your dog’s age, size, activity level, and any specific dietary requirements they may have. Avoid feeding your dog table scraps, as some human foods can be harmful to dogs.
How can I groom my dog at home?
Regular grooming is essential to keep your dog’s coat and overall health in good condition. Here are some grooming tips you can follow:
- Brushing the Coat: Brush your dog’s fur regularly, especially if they have long or thick hair. This helps remove loose hair, prevents matting, and keeps the coat clean and shiny.
- Trimming Nails: Regularly trim your dog’s nails to prevent overgrowth, which can cause discomfort and potential issues with walking.
- Cleaning Ears: Check and clean your dog’s ears regularly to avoid ear infections. Use a veterinarian-recommended ear cleaner and a cotton ball, being careful not to insert anything deep into the ear canal.
- Brushing Teeth: Brush your dog’s teeth with a dog-specific toothbrush and toothpaste to prevent dental issues and bad breath.
- Bathing: Bathe your dog as needed, typically every 4 to 6 weeks. Use a dog-friendly shampoo and make sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any residue.
Remember to use appropriate grooming tools and techniques for your dog’s specific coat type. Be patient and use positive reinforcement during grooming sessions to create a positive association with the process. If you’re unsure about any aspect of grooming, consider seeking guidance from a professional groomer or veterinarian.
How do I introduce a new cat to my household with existing pets?
Introducing a new cat to existing pets requires a patient and gradual approach to ensure a smooth transition. Follow these steps to help them adjust:
- Isolation: Keep the new cat in a separate room with all necessities (food, water, litter tray, toys). This allows them to get familiar with their scent and surroundings without direct contact with other pets.
- Scent Exchange: Swap bedding or toys between the new cat and existing pets, helping them become accustomed to each other’s scents.
- Supervised Interactions: Gradually introduce the pets by letting them see each other through a baby gate or slightly opened door. Monitor their reactions and body language closely.
- Short Meetings: Allow short, supervised meetings between the pets. Watch for signs of stress or aggression, and separate them if necessary.
- Positive Reinforcement: Reward positive interactions and calm behaviour with treats and praise, creating positive associations with each other’s presence.
- Gradual Integration: As they become more comfortable, increase the time spent together. Always supervise until you’re confident they can coexist peacefully.
How can I stop my cat from scratching furniture?
To discourage furniture scratching and protect your belongings, follow these steps:
- Provide Alternatives: Offer a variety of scratching posts or pads made of different materials, like sisal or cardboard, placed near the furniture they usually scratch.
- Make it Attractive: Rub catnip on the scratching posts and use toys to encourage them to explore and use the designated areas.
- Positive Reinforcement: Whenever your cat uses the scratching posts, reward them with treats or praise to reinforce the desired behaviour.
- Protect Furniture: Temporarily cover the furniture with double-sided tape or aluminium foil, which cats dislike, to deter scratching.
- Trim Nails: Regularly trim your cat’s nails to reduce the damage caused by scratching.
- No Punishment: Avoid punishing your cat for scratching furniture as it may cause fear or anxiety.
Should I keep my cat indoors or let them roam outside?
Keeping your cat indoors is generally safer and healthier for its well-being. Outdoor environments pose various risks like traffic accidents, predators, and exposure to diseases. Indoor cats often live longer and are less likely to encounter injuries or parasites.
To keep indoor cats mentally stimulated, provide interactive toys, climbing structures, and window perches for bird-watching. You can also consider creating an enclosed outdoor space (catio) with safe access for supervised outdoor experiences.
How often should I clean the litter box?
Cleaning the litter box regularly is crucial to maintain a hygienic environment and ensure your cat consistently uses it. Aim to scoop waste at least once a day, removing any soiled litter. Every 1-2 weeks, empty the entire box, wash it with mild soap and add fresh litter.
Cats prefer clean litter boxes, and neglecting proper cleaning may lead to inappropriate elimination outside the tray.
What should I feed my rabbit for a balanced diet?
A rabbit’s diet should consist of unlimited hay, fresh vegetables, a small amount of pellets, and access to clean water. Hay is essential for maintaining dental health and providing necessary fibre for digestion. Offer fresh vegetables like leafy greens, carrots, and herbs daily to provide additional nutrients. However, avoid feeding sugary or starchy treats, as they can lead to health issues.
Do rabbits need companionship?
Rabbits are social animals and generally do better with a companion. Having a rabbit friend can help prevent loneliness and provide mental stimulation. When introducing rabbits, it’s crucial to do so gradually and in a neutral space to avoid territorial conflicts. Not all rabbits will get along, so it’s essential to observe their interactions and ensure they are compatible.
How should I set up my rabbit's enclosure (hutch or cage)?
Provide a spacious enclosure with room for your rabbit to hop, stretch, and stand up on their hind legs. A hutch or cage should be large enough for them to move around comfortably. Include hiding spots, such as boxes or tunnels, where they can retreat to feel safe. Provide toys and objects for enrichment, like chew toys and wooden blocks.
To maintain hygiene, place a litter tray with rabbit-safe bedding material, such as paper-based litter, and clean it regularly. Ensure proper ventilation to keep the air fresh and prevent overheating. Regularly inspect and bunny-proof the enclosure to remove any potential hazards.
Not recieved an email - No worries, lets try again